Sunday, April 24, 2011

Connectivism

 In reading about connectivism (Siemens, 2006), I saw many of my own students and my own experiences. In today's society, information is all around us. This seems to naturally lead to a new way of thinking about knowledge and connections. In creating my own map, I was interested to note how many ways I have of keeping in contact with the various people and organizations I am involved with.





Each of the connections in my map provide me with various tools for learning and knowing. I have, through these resources, a world of knowledge - literally - at my fingertips. With Skype, I can connect with classmates who are on the other side of the world. I can visit with family and friends. I can connect with my instructors. The libraries - both online and in a traditional brick-and-mortar setting - provide me with research and articles from all points of view.

Connectivism is more than just connecting with others....it is also collaborating.



More than just collaborating, connectivism is recognizing the importance of using the
tools at hand to engage our students.




My own network has changed the way I learn. I used to believe that online learning was not realistic and would not be as demanding as a traditional university setting. I am learning the opposite. As I sit here before the computer, I am learning more than I would if I were sitting in front of a professor - along with 40 other students - taking notes. Here, I can ask questions and look up the answers immediately. I connect with more people from more walks of life than I would in a traditional setting.

Using Skype to connect with my classmates and instructors offers the opportunity to bounce ideas around. The online universities let me keep my own hours, rather than those posted in the regular libraries. Blogging allows me to express my ideas and through this expression I can make sense of what I am learning. I learn best when I can connect with others and gain insight through their eyes. When I have questions, I can begin immediately - Google Scholar, online libraries, and ebooks provide me with resources immediately.

The best part is, as I seek answers to my questions, I find more questions. I see new connections and gain more understanding.




 Learning digitally has opened up new knowledge
I might otherwise not have had access to.
The way I read - ebooks, online, and print - has changed. The way I learn is new. What I do with what I have learned is completely different from what I did in the past. I am no longer content to let the professors (much as I admire and respect them) tell me what to think. I now expect them to ask me more questions and encourage me to think for myself. I am no longer a student of known facts - I am now a student of learning.....as much as I can.

Reference:

Siemens, G. (2006) Knowing knowledge. Copyright 2006 by George Siemens.

1 comment:

  1. Christine,
    As always, I love the media you find! How is your media use on your blog, a part of your network? Is this a static or fluid part of your network?

    If you had to pick one thing you used everyday, what would it be? How does this technology help you teach your students?

    Thanks,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete